Sunday, August 22, 2010

What's in your wallet?

I've always loved people watching.  There is something about people, some type of X factor that just is fascinating to me.  Though the food is rarely good I've always loved going to the food court at a mall just to watch people.  I love trying to guess what kind of person they are based on their apearance and manerisms.  As far back as I can remember I've always enjoyed just watching people.  From interesting haircuts, to clothing choices, to group dynamics and the way highschoolers act differently from college students and adults it's all just so intriguing.  Recently I've found another interesting facet of people watching and it involves the way people chose to spend money.

Now... before I get into this I want to give a brief disclaimer.  I'm not saying any of these ways is outwright wrong I'm just simply making observations about the irony I see. 

It's interesting to see from a distance what people spend their money on because I think it speaks to what they value as a person.  For example, Is it just me or is there something inherently awkward about seeing a new Corvette parked in front of a Tace Bell?  Have you ever had a conversation with someone about how they are trapped in credit card debt while in the same breath bragging about their designer clothes, iPhone, huge tv, and a brand new watch?  Ever seen somebody driving a car that looks like it just survived the atom bomb, roling on really nice crome rims and bumbin a killer sounds system? 

All of these are examples of people spending money on what they value.  I'm not saying that it's wrong for a Corvette to go through a drive through or for someone to wear nice clothes but I think that the way we spend our money sends a message to the people around us about what we value.

I wonder what my bank statements say to my peers?  What might your credit card bill reveal about you, if your friends had access to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment